By Estrelda Y. Alexander
Black Fire treatments loss of old awareness via recounting the tale of African American Pentecostal origins and improvement. during this attention-grabbing description she covers
- what Pentecostalism retained from African spirituality
- the legacy of the nineteenth-century black Holiness movement
- William J. Seymour and the Azusa road Revival
- African American trinitarian and oneness Pentecostal denominations
- the function of girls in African American Pentecostalism
- African American neo-Pentecostals and charismatic movements
- black Pentecostals in majority-white denominations
- theological demanding situations of black Pentecostalism within the twenty-first century
Whether you come back from an African American Pentecostal heritage otherwise you simply are looking to examine extra, this e-book will spread the entire dimensions of this crucial movement's heritage and contribution to the lifetime of the church.
Read or Download Black Fire: One Hundred Years of African American Pentecostalism PDF
Best protestantism books
This “everything-you-need-to-know” advisor for rookies to the Episcopal Church is written and designed to supply available and effortless examining, with an easy-going glance and magnificence that’s packed packed with substance. The publication conscientiously unpacks the Episcopal Church’s language of worship, theology, church constitution, and sacraments, in order that novices could have the vocabulary and framework to percentage their ideals and practices, discover the Bible, comprehend prayer and determine their very own ministry in the church.
Estrelda Alexander was once raised in an city, black, working-class, oneness Pentecostal congregation within the Nineteen Fifties and Sixties, yet she knew little of her historical past and proposal that every one Christians worshiped and believed as she did. a lot later she chanced on that many Christians not just knew little of her history yet thought of it unusual.
A brief Catechism or simple guide in Christianity from an Episcopal or Anglican viewpoint. themes coated comprise religion, the Bible, the Creeds, the Sacraments, the e-book of universal Prayer, the Church and Communion of Saints, Church background, the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion, demise, Judgment, Heaven and Hell.
This example examine examines the historical past of the Netherlandic Mennonite neighborhood residing in and round Hamburg after the Thirty Years warfare. in line with particular archival examine, it expands the scope of Radical Reformation reports to incorporate the confessional age (c. 1550-1750). in this interval Mennonites needed to conform politically whereas attempting to protect the various nonconformist beliefs in their forebears, resembling the refusal to baptize young children, undergo fingers and swear solemn oaths.
- Offering Christ: John Wesley's Evangelistic Vision
- Heaven's Symphony: Your Invitation to Unlocking Divine Encounters Through Worship
- Cult Shock: The Book Jehovah’s Witnesses & Mormons Don’t Want You to Read
- Reading Scripture as Wesleyans
- Pentecostalization: The Evolution of Baptists in Africa
- Liturgical Index to Hymnal 1982
Extra resources for Black Fire: One Hundred Years of African American Pentecostalism
Black Fire: One Hundred Years of African American Pentecostalism by Estrelda Y. Alexander